- you are never just a number... if you show up than you were probably invited and you already now a few people and they will introduce you to the other few.
- you get to ask questions and dialogue with people in regards to the reading from the scripture
- you are able to stay engaged each others life on a regular basis... our house church had been breaking off at the end of the evening to pray for each other in small groups. we have not done this the last few times... i hope we get that part back soon.
- it is not based on the leadership of an individual.
- you have the flexibility to start one with your own group of friends... i have a group of guys that i am very close with that i have met a few times on my back porch.
Monday, August 13, 2007
house church part 1... assuming i will write about it again
i was at our house church last night in alhambra. we had a few visitors, a few old faces show up and the regulars. i usually get asked about church, because of my position working at a non profit that supports the local church in working with young people in urban areas around are country. i also get asked... what church do you go to? i am always proud to say that i attend a house church in alhambra with a few people. we have no building... we dont plan on moving into a building someday... we just meet in a living room and hope that we may inspire other to do the same. i am not against the traditional structure that most americans choose to gather in and call church. but i do think that the house church movement is better... for me at least or why would i do it. here are a few reasons that i believe that there is great value in meeting as a house church.