Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Irresistible Revolution

I just wanted to give my friend Shane Claiborne from Philly some love on J-Lou's Confusion. A great read with a lot of his stories from Philly, Chicago, India and more.

Here are a few quotes that have created discussion in my own mind:

Quote 1:
"I came to realize that preachers were telling me to lay my life at the foot of the cross and weren't giving me anything to pick up"

This was thought provoking as I speak at a camp this week and was wandering as i call students to commit thier lives to be followers of Christ. What do I want them to pick up? If I am asking them to give up something that the world is offering them. What am I offering in return?

Quote 2:
"So if someone asked me to introduce them to Jesus, I would say, 'Come and see.'"

This got me thinking about what someone would see if they followed me, would they be introduced to Jesus. I think they would be better introduced to a guy who spends way too much time reading, answering emails, watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and sitting in meetings with people who discuss how to help people transform our urban communities.

I know that i need to spend more time actually trying to transform communities and actually implement what i am reading. I read a lot about Jesus, but spend very little time doing what Jesus did and continues to do. Well some people (Irene) say that my blogs are tooooooo long, so i will end this and get back to preping to inspire kids and MYSELF to follow Jesus.

Peace.

No comments: